YHA Fact Sheet
YHA Australia is part of the world’s largest backpacker accommodation network and has recently published a very useful fact sheet for students going travelling or on working holidays. Below are some interesting travel tips:
Top Travel Tips
- Want to earn money while you travel? Australia has working holiday agreements with many countries – see immi.gov.au – be aware that some visas must be applied for before you leave Australia though.
- Make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months after you plan to return, and check entry requirements for countries you plan to visit e.g. tourist visas, US pre-authorisation.
- Visit the doctor at least 6 weeks before you leave to get vaccinations and prescription medication.
- Let your bank know you’re going overseas so they don’t cancel your card when they see an overseas transaction.
- If you can’t afford travel insurance you can’t afford to travel!
- Register with smartraveller.gov.au
- Always give a family member or friend a copy of your itinerary so they can contact you in an emergency.
- Book your first couple of nights’ accommodation ahead for peace of mind when you get off the plane and have to find your way around a new city, a new country.
- Always aim to arrive in a new town during the daylight hours as it is more difficult to get your bearings at night.
- It can be cheaper to organise transport passes before you leave Australia, e.g.
Busabout hop-on hop-off between major European Cities, Greyhound Canada/USA, Eurail train network.
- Pack lightly – you’ll be surprised how little you can comfortably travel with, and roll clothes when packing.
- Sometimes the best plan is ‘no plan’… don’t be too locked into a pre-arranged schedule that you have no time for spontaneous experiences!
- Look at alternative low cost options to communicate with home – email, SKYPE, Facebook, Facetime, WhatsApp, Viber, WeChat (on Wi-Fi or from an internet café), prepaid local or international SIM cards.
For more information about YHA and to access many other useful tips, visit Travel Tips