Speech Pathology

The Good Universities Guide indicates that speech pathologists diagnose, treat and provide management services to people with communication disorders, including speech, language, voice, fluency and literacy difficulties, or people who have physical problems with eating or swallowing.


Speech pathologists may perform the following tasks:

  • treat children who are unable to communicate effectively due to conditions such as cleft palate, hearing loss, delayed speech or language development, cerebral palsy or emotional disturbances
  • treat adults whose language, speech or voice has been affected by surgery, disease or disorders of the nervous system, brain damage or hearing loss
  • help children and adults overcome stuttering
  • assess and treat children and adults who have difficulty chewing and swallowing


In Victoria, Speech Pathology is taught at undergraduate level at ACU, Charles Sturt University, and La Trobe University