Health Degrees Overview

MEDICINE AND DENTISTRY – It is possible to study medicine/surgery at Deakin (Geelong), Monash (Clayton and Gippsland), and Melbourne universities. Of course, many interstate universities also offer medicine, and it is possible to study it in New Zealand (eg University of Otago in Dunedin) and have the qualification recognised in Australia. NOTE: Be aware that medical qualifications from many overseas universities are not recognised in Australia and further study in Australia is required.

The ONLY university in Victoria offering an undergraduate medical degree is Monash. Acceptance into this course is based on a combination of ATAR, UMAT result and a multi-mini interview. UMAT is short for the Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test. This year the test will be held on Wednesday 27 July. Registrations are open now and close at 5pm (AEST) on Friday 3 June, 2016. See: The UMAT is a multiple choice assessment; it is possible to purchase practice tests at this website, and you are strongly advised to do so as the UMAT is a very demanding test and practice is vital. The only Victorian undergraduate degree which requires completion of the UMAT is Medicine at Monash. La Trobe University requires it for Dentistry, but only for non-Year 12 applicants. Some interstate universities require it as part of the application process for medicine, dentistry and some other medical-related courses so you are wise to check this. It is common for students keen to study medical courses to apply to interstate universities as well as Victoria. Living in a particular state does not give any priority to applicants. NOTE: International applicants see International Student Admissions Test (ASAT).

Monash also offers a post-graduate degree in medicine, as do Deakin and Melbourne universities. Monash has very specific requirements for entry to the post-graduate degree, including that from 2017 the undergraduate degree MUST be a Monash degree (preferably the B. Biomedical Science, or alternatively the B. Pharmacy or the B. Physiotherapy, or in a small number of cases the B. Science). Most applicants for the Melbourne degree would complete either the B. Biomedicine or the B. Science at Melbourne first. Deakin also does not specify the under-graduate degree. NOTE: Many post-graduate medical degrees require applicants to sit for a test known as the GAMSAT. See:


Dentistry is only offered in Victoria as an undergraduate degree at La Trobe University (Bendigo) and as a post-graduate degree at Melbourne University.

It is important for anyone thinking of studying medicine or dentistry to research and start preparing; the competition for university places is considerable. Some universities offer information sessions about their courses (Eg ‘At Monash’ Seminars and Focus On Melbourne seminars – details later).

Remember, of course, many students considering medicine or dentistry could be well suited to several other occupations, not necessarily in the medical field, so explore these as well.


BACHELOR OF HEALTH SCIENCES AT MONASH – To who is this degree suited? Are you passionate about health and keen to contribute to addressing real health challenges? This is a ‘parent’ course under which there are four possible specialisations. Students enrol in the course relevant to their specialisation: B. Emergency Health, B. Human Services (can lead to Masters in Social Work), B. Public Health Science and B. Radiation Science. Studies commence at the Caulfield campus where students from all specialisations will apply scientific approaches to the study and improvement of health, considering physiological, behavioural, developmental, social and environmental aspects of human health and disease. After the first three semesters, you will develop an in-depth knowledge of the theory and practice of your specialisation. Prerequisites – 3/4 English and any Maths.



WHAT IS PHYSIOTHERAPY? Physiotherapists assess, treat and prevent disorders in human movement caused by injury or disease. They work in private practice, hospitals, rehabilitation centres, health department, mental health, school systems and some with sports clubs. Most young aspiring physiotherapist want to work as sport physiotherapists, however, you need to understand that many, in fact, work with elderly patients.

Physiotherapy is taught at Monash, La Trobe, Charles Sturt and Melbourne Universities. ACU is introducing the course at Ballarat campus in 2017. The ATAR required for all courses is very high, and admission to the Monash degree also requires an interview. The Melbourne degree is post-graduate. A science background and interest is required for successful completion of the course.


WHAT IS MYOTHERAPY? This is a remedial massage course which assists in rehabilitation, pain and injury management. The Advanced Diploma takes two to three years to complete.  Some students who are interested in physiotherapy but who are not able to obtain the required ATAR find myotherapy a satisfying alternative. It is offered at a number of institutions such as Box Hill, Chisholm, Holmesglen, Melbourne Polytechnic, RMIT and Victoria University.


WHAT IS OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY? Do you want to engage people to participate in activities to their full potential? Occupational Therapy involves working with individuals, groups and communities to enhance their ability to engage in the occupations they want to, need to, or are expected to do. It is offered at ACU, Charles Sturt, La Trobe, Deakin (Geelong), and Monash universities.


WHAT IS PROSTHETICS? Learn about artificial limbs (prostheses) for people with amputations and supporting devices (orthoses) for people with musculoskeletal weaknesses. In Victoria this degree course is taught only at La Trobe University.